Saturday 15 August 2015

I am eating Snails! it named TUTUT



            I am going to talk about ‘snails’ right now. If you are Indonesian and especially living in West Java, you probably know about this dish. It called ‘tutut’. Tutut is little snails that live in wet rice field. But some of my friends who live in other country will wonder about this. Some of them asking me, can we eat snails? They live in mud! No wayyy, it’s disgusting. Wait, is that halal?



Well, I am a Muslim and I have to eat halal food. I ate those since I was kid and I don’t think about halal or not. It’s around me and delicious. I am growing up and start to think about it. I asked some teachers and it’s still being a big question for me.
            I finally search on Google and newspaper. I found out that snails are obviously haram especially the big snail with slime when they are walking. But I found that little snails that living in wet rice field are halal. Indonesia government can prove it by some theories. I am so happy about it because the little snails named ‘tutut’ is my favorite kind of traditional dish.
            And the unique way to eat tutut is suck them! Yeah, that’s pretty cool. With clean hands we can suck it. Indonesian cooked it really well. They are cutting the end of spiral snails so we can suck it. I’ve ever found tutut with no cutting end and I can’t suck it. It’s ridiculous how I am struggling to eat tutut. But if you find the same trouble as me, you can use tooth pick to reach the little ‘meat’ of tutut a.k.a little snails.




I’m going to tell you how to cook tutut!
First, you need to prepare the tutut. It takes kind of long because tutut is not a ready ingredient to cooked. They are obviously dirty because they are living in wet rice field or we know that is mud. So we have to put tutut in a bucket of clean water for one night. Change the clean water for two or three times. And if we found that the spiral of tutut still have dirt, we can brush it with tooth brush, brushes or anything you want. And like I said before, cut the end of spiral to get rid any dirt. And last time, wash with clean water. It’s ready to be cooked.
What we need to cook tutut!
·        Garlic
·        Shallot
·        Turmeric
·        Candle nut
·        Indonesian laurel (bay leaf)
·        Galangale/Galingal
·        Salt
·        Sugar
·        Scallion
·        Water (1 liter)
Blend all the ingredients with blender (except the 1 liter of water), but still, we have to add water a little bit.
How to cook tutut :
Sautee the blended spices in minimal oil and after it smells good, you can put all the tutut on it. And after that you can add more water in to it. Remember, the fires still on. After you feel get enough with the water decrease, you done with your tutut! Turn off your fire, prepare your plate.
Enjoyyyyyy….

P.S : I uploaded a video on YouTube as my English task. But I shared it public so you can see that. On that video, I visited 2 places that serve an original food in my hometown. One of them is tutut! I showed how it moves in the wet rice field. I hope it’s interesting enough for you to watch.
I love you, bye! ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment